Review your unit 3 personal assessment of your psychological, physical, and spiritual well-being. Reflect on these areas. How did you score yourself on a scale from 1 to 10 in unit 3? How do you score yourself now? Has the score changed? Why or why not?
When I assess my overall wellness I can definitely say that I have room to learn and grow. On a scale from 1 to 10 I would rate my spiritual well-being at an 8. Spiritual well-being is one of the biggest things that sustain me, without it I would be nothing. I chose to rate myself at an 8 because I feel like there is more room for growth in this area. I believe in God and have accepted Jesus into my heart and have a personal relationship with Him. I also know that my life is in His hands. However, I have a hard time fully relying on Him and placing my worries, cares, and fears at His feet. This is one thing that I would like to overcome and I know that through Him I can do all things. Spiritually I have a hard timing fully relying on the Lord and placing my worries, cares, and fears at His feet. This is one thing that I would like to overcome and I know that through Him I can do all things. I would also like to be better about setting aside quiet time with Him. I need to be more intentional about waking up an hour or so before I wake up my kids to have my personal quiet time and pray and meditate on my day. I have a “Jesus Calling” devotional that I try to read every day as well as daily devotions that I receive via email like Proverbs 31 ministries and Girlfriends in God. I love that they take scripture and make it very applicable to my life.
On a scale from 1 to 10 I would rate my physical well-being at an 8. I fell that my physical well-bring is good but I want to continue to strive to do better. I exercise five days a week for an hour to an hour and a half. My daily exercise includes either walking briskly on the treadmill for an hour, walking four miles in my neighborhood with a friend, or going to a body-sculpting class on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday I am obsessed with going to spin/cycle class. My BMI is good, but I would like to lose about ten pounds to feel completely satisfied with myself. I try to buy all organic foods, as well as grass fed lean meats, non-GMO, minimally processed and artificially free foods. I try to meal plan weekly for my family and try to incorporate as many fruits and vegetables into our meals as possible. My physical goal is to lose ten pounds. One thing that I would like to try is to go on a juice fast. I love the documentary “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead” by Joe Cross and would like to get a juicer soon to get myself in to great physical health
On a scale from 1 to 10 I would rate my psychological well-being at a 6.This is one area that I would say that I struggle with immensely. I am so grateful to be in this class to learn ways to cope and deal with my emotions. I had a very complicated childhood growing up and continue to deal with the repercussions of it. I have also experienced the loss of several loved ones including my dad who passed away three years ago. Because of experiencing so many losses throughout the years I constantly deal with the fear of death and dying on a daily basis. I am so grateful that I have my faith, and without it I would be nothing. I have to come to a place in my life where I need to stop focusing on the “what if’s” and start living without stress. I feel stress on a daily basis and school only escalates it. I feel very guilty that I am even going back to school because I feel that it is taking away from my husband and kids and that I can’t give them everything they need from me. Going back to school has always been something that I have always wanted to do but I personally wanted to wait until all of my kids where in school and then focus on me. However, due to much pressure from my older brother and knowing that my deceased father would be so proud, here I am. I have such a passion for health and wellness and know that there is a purpose and reason why I am where I am; I just have to continue to trust in the Lord’s provision for my life and know that he has a bigger plan than I do. My psychological health will be able to grow if I practice training my mind. I have such a passion for health and wellness and know that there is a purpose and reason why I am here but I need to find better coping strategies to help maintain my stress level, fears, worries, doubts and guilt. I know that taking this class has helped me find what I need to cope and I can’t wait until the day that I can incorporate all of the exercises and techniques I have learned to cope with all of my anxieties. I know that there is an end in sight in pursuing my degree and cannot wait for August 2013 to get here so I can graduate and move on to the next chapter of my life.
Have you implemented the activities you chose for your well-being in each of the three areas? Explain.
I have not been able to implement the activities that I have chosen for my well-being. My family, and school have been at the top of my to do list and then I have not been feeling well so that has not helped matters. I am hoping that after the holidays have come and gone that I will be able to implement my activities and goals.
Summarize your personal experience throughout this course. Have you developed improved well-being? What has been rewarding? What has been difficult? How will this experience improve your ability to assist others?
Taking this course has improved my personal health and wellness. I have learned so much and have been given so many useful tools to improve my personal life. This course has helped me find what I need to cope with many of my fears and anxieties and I am excited to incorporate all of the exercises and techniques into my daily life. One of the biggest tools I have learned throughout this course is the visualization exercises, “The Subtle Mind” and “The Taste of Human Flourishing.” These exercises have helped me to clear my mind and become relaxed, renewed, refreshed and calm and brings me to a place of happiness, wholeness, and health. One of the things that has been difficult for me in this course is time management. Finding the time not only to study and complete my assignments but also be able to incorporate everything that I have learned from this course. I am thankful for this course and all that I have gained from it and cannot wait to share many of the useful tools that I have learned with others.
May God Bless each of you! Merry Christmas!
Hi Tiffany, I am very sorry about the loss of your Dad. That is something that seems so painful for me at times is the thought of my dad who also has passed away. I think you are right in thinking that he would be so proud of you . It is hard not to feel guilty when we are doing things for ourselves, but really what you are doing is for others. You are setting a good example for your kids and if they see a strong Mom who can go back to school and reach her goals they will see that and they will become strong and independent as you want them to be !!
ReplyDeleteHave a good holiday !! good luck in the future !!